I always knew that I wanted to help individuals and families. Social work was in my blood, at least that’s what I believe! And, my adoptive mother was a social worker. I embraced opportunities to learn more. When I was growing up, we learned by doing, not watching. In middle school, I volunteered as a reading tutor in a residential treatment facility in Chicago, where I grew up. I understood then that there was much to learn beyond the therapy office.
As a younger clinician, I worked at various residential treatment facilities, as a youth care worker, then a theater teacher! I also worked for two summers at Wediko, a “camp” for children with significant psychological issues. At Simmons Graduate School of Social Work, I interned at The Brookline Community Mental Health Center, and continued working there for six years. I led adoption groups, psychotherapeutic groups and groups for adoptive parents.
Also at Children’s Hospital, completed post-graduate fellowship, then worked in Emergency Department conducting psychiatric evaluations for kids and families in crisis.
Currently, I see families, individuals, adults and parents in private psychotherapy practice, in Newton, MA. I offer local and online groups for adoptive parents and adoptees, and do consultations for schools and adoption agencies and mental health facilities.
My book, “Parenting in the Eye of the Storm: The Adoptive Parent’s Guide to Navigating the Teen Years,” is available now.
- Korean-American Adoptee Network – advisory council, wellness team, speaker
- National Association of Social Workers – member
- A Home Within – national organization that provides pro bono therapy for foster kids and adults. Participating clinician.
- Wide Horizons for Children-speaker
- Jewish Children and Family Services-presenter, group leader
- The Brookline Community Mental Health Center-clinician, child group supervisor, co-led Diversity Team.
- Children’s Hospital, Boston-Post-graduate Fellowship, Emergency Department
- Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children-speaker to Adoptive Families Together and Kids’ Net
- Chinese Cultural Festival of Newton-panelist
- Adoption Community Of New England-speaker
- Also-Known-As – speaker
- Post-graduate fellowship at Children’s Hospital, Boston in outpatient therapy department plus the Emergency Department doing psychiatric evaluations.
- MSW Simmons Graduate School of Social Work, 2000. Internship at The Brookline Community Mental Health Center.
- Skidmore College, class of 1997, B.S. in Science, Social Work major. Internship at The Charlton School for Girls, Burnt Hills, NY.